How to program a generic Universal Remote Control
When the buttons on my old Samsung TV’s remote control started acting up, I looked for one of those universal remote controls. The closest shop we have at our office is CD-R King and they had a few URC on hand. I chose one that uses AAA batteries and it costs just Php100.
Unfortunately for me, there’s no manual included and there are no instructions at the back on how to use it. I couldn’t find a button that would auto-scan my TV nor a menu that would help me get started. I can’t find anything to help me in the CD-R King website as well.
I searched over the net on how to operate the remove and piece by piece, I found how to program it. All I need next was the correct 3-digit code for my Samsung TV. No luck using the codes so I searched for a guide on how to have the remote auto-scan the correct code by itself. Then I got it to work.
To save you the hassle of setting up your URC (might also work with other generic URCs), here’s how I did it.
How to Input TV Code on your Universal Remote Control
- Turn on the TV first.
- On the remote, press SET for 3 seconds, or press SET and POWER, until indicator lights up. Release the key/s and you will be prompted to input the TV Code.
- Enter the 3-digit code of your TV, the indicator light should flash once for each number. After inputting the 3-digit code, indicator will turn off.
- Start using the remote and check whether each critical keys are working
TV codes of popular brands
Here are the 3-digit codes of popular TV brands. Try each code one by one. Hopefully it will help you because it didn’t work for my Samsung TV.
- LG – 040, 043, 140
- Samsung – 008, 011, 016, 021, 024, 025, 033, 037, 039, 040, 043, 050, 051, 091, 113, 123, 235
- Sony – 005, 041, 049, 094, 106, 153, 154, 158, 173, 243
- Panasonic – 001, 002, 014, 015, 020, 021, 022, 059, 066, 156, 233
- Toshiba – 000, 007, 008, 014, 015, 016, 027, 028, 030, 033, 053, 056, 079, 089, 090, 091, 160
- JVC – 004, 089, 161
- TCL – 051, 053, 068, 071, 073, 082, 083, 08, 085, 110, 111, 151, 212, 244
How to program your Universal Remote Control automatically
If you can’t find the code of your TV, or if the code just won’t work. You can also let the remote control automatically search the code for you. This might take long and requires you to pay attention but it worked for me.
- Turn on the TV first.
- On the remote, press SET for 3 seconds, or press SET and POWER, until indicator lights up. Release the key/s at the same time.
- Press and release the POWER key. The indicator will flash every few seconds. What it does is cycle through TV codes and transmit a “Volume +” command on your TV.
- Pay attention to the TV. When you see the Volume being adjusted on the screen, quickly press SET. The indicator light will turn off and you just successfully programmed your URC to work with your TV.
That’s it! No thanks to you CD-R King. The OEM model of the universal remote that I got is Huayu RM-36E+ by the way which I believe is a generic URC.