How to transfer contacts to your iPod Touch

I used to think that the only way to add contacts to your iPod Touch or iPhone is by adding them manually using the Contacts app. I just found out there’s an easy way to add contacts by using Outlook.

contacts

If you don’t have Outlook you can also use your Yahoo, Windows or Google Address Book to store your contacts and then transfer to your iPod Touch. But since it’s much easier to update and use Outlook, that’s what I recommend.

You can also use Outlook to get your contacts from your Palm or other Smartphones before transferring it to your iPod Touch or iPhone.

It’s easy to transfer contacts if you read the help file, but here it is anyway:

1. You must first plug in your iPod Touch to your PC.

2. Start iTunes and select your device.

contacts1

3. Go to the Info tab and check Sync contacts with the source of your choice. In our case it’s Outlook.

contacts2

4. Click Sync to start transferring your contacts. Now every time you modify your Contacts in Outlook, it will be included whenever you sync your iPod Touch.

contacts3

Now if you include the birthdates of your contacts in their details, you might want to download the free app, iHappyDays to alert you whenever a friend’s birthday is coming up.

Time to build my contact list.

1. Bernie says:

After turning my ipod touch, going to the “info” tab on Itunes, I tried to sync my contacts using the “Windows Contacts” option. It says it was syncing, but nothing was going onto the ipod. Then, I created a new account on gmail. Imported my contacts from Windows Live (OS Windows 7) using the export command. At the “info” tab on Itunes, I had changed the option to “Google Account”. There were a few alerts and warnings, but I needed those contacts on the ipod, ignored it. I had to confirm my new address and password for gmail. Resync the ipod; thus; the contacts were placed onto the ipod touch. Problem solved.

• djsanchez says:

Did this process also import phone numbers and addresses? I tried this, but only got the contacts with emails and those did not have phone numbers or addresses.

2. A says:

Thanks
    First place that showed me the simple steps!

3. Jenna says:

Help…i followed your directions to the letter but nothing was transferred from my yahoo contacts to my ipod touch contacts…what happened or what can i do to fix it?

what error are you getting? i think a lot of people are having problems with syncing their yahoo account. you need to use @yahoo.com on your username. if it doesnt work still, go to configure and re-enter your password. other than that, i don’t have a clue anymore. :)

• Bernie says:

did you tried to change the syncing option from Windows live? Try creating a new account on Gmail.

4. salome says:

hi, i tryed to sync my windows contacts to my ipod but when i click on apply to sync the itunes ask that it will syce my apps and delete them all, i justwant to sync the contacts not the apps… please advice….

5. Wayne says:

still shows “no contacts”
    any ideas?

6. salome says:

i have a better idea, it tried it and it works very well, you can email the contacts from your windows by attaching the file in my document/contacts/.. in windows 7, and when you open the email attach on your iPod it automatically open it in your address book and ask to add it to you iPod contacts.
    it is so easy….