How to read PDF’s on your iPod Touch

Before, I talked about how you can read eBook’s on your iPod Touch with Stanza. This includes text-based PDF’s. You would notice however, that Stanza cannot support image-based PDF’s which is commonly used for digital magazines.

pdftoipod

To read PDF magazines on your iPod Touch, you need a different app. A FREE app that could read PDF’s is Discover. Just like Stanza, your desktop and iPod Touch should also be on a wireless network.

With Discover though, you don’t need any desktop client. Your file explorer or internet browser can communicate with your iPod Touch to upload or download files.

There’s still a current limitation with Discover. It seems that bigger PDF’s (more than 20MB) is more likely to crash the app. I think it has something to do with the memory of the device.

Follow these easy steps to start reading PDF’s on your iPod Touch/iPhone:

1. Make sure that your device is connected to your wireless network.

2. Start Discover and take note of the IP address given to you. Click the green circle if it doesn’t appear.

pdf1

3. On your desktop, open your browser and go to that IP address. In my case, it’s http://192.168.0.148:8888. Your browser should load Discover’s File Management page.

Here you can upload, download or delete files. You can also create and manage your folders.

4. Select a folder where you want to upload your PDF file. I’m going to select Public.

5. Click the Add Files and select the file/s you want to put in your device.

6. When done, click Upload All and wait for the upload to finish.

pdf4

If you have multiple iPod Touch / iPhone in the same network, you can also share files between devices.

7. Head back to your iPod Touch to check your PDF.

pdf5

And enjoy your PDF… if it doesn’t crash on you that is.

pdf6

There are still some flaw with Discover as you would experience the occasional crashing. It just means that the PDF is too big or poorly made. Let’s just wait for an update from them or until a more stable PDF viewer becomes available.

You can check Discover’s forum for known issues and possible support if you’re experiencing any problems.

iPod Touch Guides

1. Claudio says:

I actually bought my iPod touch 10% because of you man. As soon as I saw that I could read stuff in it I was like:

“Ohp! Gotta have it!”

Cool… you should’ve wait for the new ipod touch though. it’s quite a big improvement from the old model. stanza is another free app that can read PDF (and other e-books) by the way.

• john says:

calvin, a new app called: PDF Reader Lite is AWESOME! wayy better than this, please check it out and spread the word! this app got nothing on the new app. i just downloaded it and i can even read powerpoints! download pdfs directly from safari browser, etc! and best: it’s free!

thanks. right now im using goodreader which is a 99 cents app that also do the same thing. gonna check that PDF Reader lite out.

2. megan says:

Do you need the internet whenever you want to read the PDF?

3. Joe says:

Thanks mate, fab app!

4. misona says:

hei calvin, I was wondering what app can you use from the all you mention above to read your books without the wireless. ebooks are diferent of the .pdf or .doc books I can download from the internet?
    please lend me a good advice because in my country I don’t have wireless :( and I want to read my books from my ipod touch 4gen. can I really do that?
    please teach me how.
    Thank You!
    Misona

Use iBooks. download pdf or .epub books then using itunes, go to the apps tab of your ipod, scroll down and look for iBooks there should be an option there to upload your books then sync.