How to download e-books from mIRC

Before we got torrents, P2P and even before Napster, mIRC was the best place where you could get lots of movies, apps and mp3’s for free. It’s not an easy thing to use for downloading but once you get the hang of it, you’ll learn of its benefits.

mircbook I’m an avid user of mIRC back in college and I still have it installed in my machine for the occasional hard-to-find mp3’s and for e-books. It’s very difficult to find the e-book that you want from LimeWire or torrents so I’ll teach you how you could easily get them from mIRC.

The instructions here are a bit detailed so forgive me if you’re looking for a short guide.

You have to get the latest version of mIRC and install it in your machine. You don’t have to register it if you don’t want to.

Joining a channel

Before you can go to a channel and start your downloads, create some login details first.

mirc1

It’s time to connect to a server. Here are a couple of places in mIRC where you can get e-books.

Server: Undernet
Channel: #Bookz

Server: IRCHighway
Channel: #ebooks

Since I’m having trouble joining channel #bookz in Undernet (always full), I’ll go to IRCHighway instead.

In the Connect menu, click Servers and look for IRCHighway then click Select. Then click Connect to server.

mirc2

Wait until you get connected.

mirc3

Before doing anything else, you need to tweak some settings to allow downloading. Go to Tool > Options > Sounds, then click Requests. Uncheck Send !nick file as private message.

mirc4

(Optional) Still in the Options, click DCC and select Auto-get file so that you don’t have to babysit your downloads.

mirc5

When done click OK.

You can start joining a channel. In the command line type /j ebooks (/j bookz if your’re in Undernet) then hit Enter.

Geting your e-Book

Ok in the channel, you can begin searching for an e-book. The search command is @find <keyword>. For example if I want to find James Patterson’s Step on a Crack, I’ll type @find patterson step crack.

mirc6

Then wait for a few seconds for people/bots with positive matches to send you a private message. There will be a lot if what you’re looking for is popular.

mirc7

Click each private window to check if they got the file that you want. Once you find one, select and copy the command on how to get the file. Highlight the text then press CTRL-C to copy the command.

The get command starts with “!” and ends with the filename.

For example, MysteryTrain has a lot of results and I need a file with a .lit extension so I’m gonna copy the command !MysteryTrain Patterson, James – Step on a Crack (v1.0).lit

mirc8

Then go back to the main channel (#ebooks) and paste the command there and hit Enter.

mirc9

Wait for awhile before the download window appears.

mirc10

The download speed depends on the sharer but e-Book files seldom exceed 1 MB. When done, you can get the file from the download folder.

The default download folder is C:\Program Files\mIRC\download.

That’s it! Enjoy your e-Book. Let me know if you’re having troubles with my instructions by leaving a comment so I can clear things up for you.

1. Zhaetur says:

Excellent post! I’ve been trying to figure out irc off and on for a few years and this article made super simple!

2. rea says:

thanks u so much..its easier follow ur tips than the userguide mirc..

3. Lachlan says:

Yesterday, while I was att work, my sister stole mmy apple ipad
    andd tested to see if it caan survive a thirty foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken annd she has 83 views.
    I kmow this is entirely off topic bbut I had to share it with someone!

4. Greg says:

Great page with excellent advice. For Mac users try Xchat Azure instead of mIRC.

5. Al says:

Hi, I desire to subscribe for this blog to obtain hottest updates, therefore where can i do it please help out.

Have a look att my web blog … where tto buy youtube views (Al)

6. Chris says:

Please help. When I am searching for a book, nothing happens.
    THis is what it says.
    0,4Welcome to #ebooks – Respect each other – No File Servers .. please register a nick. for help type /msg [email protected] help REGISTER or /join #operhelp for help

7. animej says:

how to find Undernet? Should i add it as a server?
    what other ebooks servers/channels are there?
    thanks for this very helpful.

8. Rita says:

I have mIRC up and running. I am receiving the Searchbots for my ebooks in both Undernet and IRC highway but when I request a download, it never comes through. I see my request on the screen but it’s like no one sees it or responds. And I am sure that person is online and signed in. What am I doing wrong?

did you uncheck the send !nick as private request under Sounds > Requests? And make sure your setting is made to accept zip, rar files.. or other ebook file format. maybe your client is blocking the transfer.

9. Rita says:

I cannot get the book files. Three attempts by the sender was blocked. Don’t know what else to do. 4 months ago I was able to download without issues. Could it be my Webroot or Internet provider blocking?

ahhh yeah… sometimes there’s a problem with the sender and your connection. when that happens, i just look for other another source. try a different sender.

10. Rita says:

I went back through your posting and made sure all settings were as you showed. In DCC settings I have nothing labeled exclusion list. I am still getting nothing.